Thursday, March 26, 2009

I guess it's true, I really am knocked up

Despite the tests and confirmations, there comes an "ah-ha" moment - a time when one actually believes they are pregnant. After nearly five months, I have finally attained this state of awareness. What was the pivotal moment? Well, there were a few, which I share below:
  • A total stranger, rather than asking what diet I'm on, asked to touch my belly
  • I managed to down TWO plates of spaghetti, while the rest of the family was still putting Parmesan on theirs
  • Consequently, I gained TWO pounds overnight
  • Despite excellent hygienic practises, the dark mark on my belly wouldn't be removed. This is of course, is the linea nigra, a dark line on the skin that runs down the abdomen starting from the belly button. The experts say this is caused by the increased amounts of hormones circulating around, which in turn, leads to an increase in the the production of the skin-pigmentation protein, melanin. Although this is very exciting, these hormones are also the ones giving me the latest term of endearment, "the crazy pregnant lady".
With that I leave you...

3 comments:

  1. Linea nigra? Learn something new and surprising every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the stranger let you touch his or her belly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have asked - a missed opportunity!

    ReplyDelete