Saturday, March 21, 2009

Recap

It all began when "he" said yes. Not to marriage, but to trying to conceive a child. This may not seem to be so momentous, but considering we were both over 40 and have a house full of teenagers, it was a BIG DEAL. Some have said, it was a brain malfunction.

After a few false starts, and much pessimism from friends and family, biology won. The test was positive and I was happily on my way to becoming a new/old mom.

Although I have yet to experience any pregnancy-associated illness, the path has been less than easy:
  • The fear of losing our little miracle has been overwhelming
  • Associating each ache and pain as a signal of miscarriage has been a crazy-making pastime
  • Dealing with the barrage of information supplied by the Internet may eventually qualify me as an MD
  • New medical technology has offered too many options
He's a boy
The amnio, was the first grueling procedure I have endured. Despite the expertise of our obstetrician, it was uncomfortabe and the wait for results was too intense. The upside is that we now know our wee one is a boy and perfectly healthy. Once again, biology is working in our favour.

I believe our son will be an excellent soccer player. At 16 weeks, I already experienced his kicks. At 18 weeks, these keep me up at night. Unfortunately, his energy drains mine, and I am currently consigned to bed rest. I am hopeful this is temporary, as I do have those teens to feed, water and nag.

Until next time..

4 comments:

  1. Yay for biology! Yay for kicking feet! Boo for bed-rest!
    I don't know if it'll help, but I read an article that talks about how babies-in-making have a programmed reaction to settle down if there's motion. So perhaps walking will help?
    What drove me nuts when Liv was in my belly was that she got hiccups three to five times a day. That trend persisted once she was born...
    Great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually Tiara...
    This is Loren :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine - glad you're writing this. I look forward to reading your progress!

    ReplyDelete