Thursday, December 2, 2010

ne, ne, ne, NINETEEN!










Some may remember the song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSGvqjVHik8)

I can still remember dancing to it, while celebrating my own nineteenth birthday! Hard to believe I now have a daughter this age, who has never heard of Paul Hardcastle.

It has been a great year for my girl, capped-off by getting her driver's license. Freedom for both of us. No more late-night pick ups or drives with a van full of giggling girls. This is one of the last things on my parent "to do" list. I could pat myself on the back for a job well done.

But there are some things I just can't teach..And these may be the hardest lessons of all. I experienced this recently, when trying to help mend her broken heart. Smiles, cookies and hugs just won't help. We all know, time will, but this she must find out by herself.

Happy Birthday my sweet. I will now sidestep and let you lead the way!

2 comments:

  1. So thoughtful, nicely written, lovely and to the point as always. Your posts always want to make me cry, they are so sweet and tug on the heart strings. Waiting for Liam and saying "there you are" and then stepping aside for your daughter, what a wonderful mother!

    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete