Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A year ago today

In the middle of the night I felt a tug, then pressure in my belly. A quick trip to the bathroom confirmed it - the day was here and it was going to be a memorable one.

After waking up your aunt and Dad, we drove to the hospital.

The moon was full and it was a gorgeous, soft night. I could hear the whispering of the cicadas and chirping of some very early-risers. You and I were both excited - I babbled and you kicked along the way. Your Dad and aunt were quiet, anticipating the road ahead.

We were greeted with smiles and bright lights at the hospital. I was hooked up to tubes and drips, oblivious to anything but your stirrings.

After an eternity of waiting, you finally made your move. I responded gladly and used all my energy to help your progress. Although, it wasn't easy and you struggled a bit at the end, we both made it through.

At last, I was able to hold you in my arms, you were unbelievably tiny and precious. When our eyes met for the very first time, it was with recognition. "There you are."

A year ago today, you were born and changed our lives forever.

2 comments:

  1. Was it that first, fun venture out of the womb that whet his appetite for travel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we are all the richer for that joyous day. A very happy birthday and much love to the youngest member of the family. Much love as well to his parents, his sisters, his brother, and extended family, who surround him with tenderness, lively engagement, wisdom, and curiosity.

    ReplyDelete